Thread: antialiasing

Thanks

antialiasing

does anyone use this ? , i run at 1440p sometimes 1080p and i find on games where im not cheating things look much crisper with it off and i can spot the enemy much better with it off
    at 1440p its barely noticeble i played some bf1 and some cod on a "dream pc" at scan with a 10 core cpu overclocked and 3 x 1080ti , at 4k its useless if you ask me just drops the fps
    Its hard to feel the friction, under water.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Reply With Quote (Selected Text) Reply With Quote (Selected Text)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 794 Posts
    Yeah its great.

In computer graphics, antialiasing is a software technique for diminishing jaggies - stairstep-like lines that should be smooth. Jaggies occur because the output device, the monitor or printer, doesn't have a high enough resolution to represent a smooth line. Antialiasing reduces the prominence of jaggies by surrounding the stairsteps with intermediate shades of gray (for gray-scaling devices) or color (for color devices). Although this reduces the jagged appearance of the lines, it also makes them fuzzier.
    Another method for reducing jaggies is called smoothing, in which the printer changes the size and horizontal alignment of dotsto make curves smoother.
    Antialiasing is sometimes called oversampling.

Source: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/antialiasing.html
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Reply With Quote (Selected Text) Reply With Quote (Selected Text)

Thanks
    That's what I found too, on 1080p sure, but on higher resolutions it's not noticable. Just becomes a hog.
    Last edited by BenjaminFi; 11-01-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,737 Times in 3,269 Posts
    I usually use FXAA on 1440p.
    Doesn't hit performance at all and still makes it look a bit better.
    You can also use NVIDIA's MFAA - https://i.imgur.com/IzF1clF.png It's about 5% to 10% performance loss.. Looks just a little bit better than FXAA.

However, Anti-aliasing for 4k is definitely not needed.